We Are Here. (And So Are You.)

Friday, January 4, 2008

Basstown Exclusive Mix - Initiales AA

In preparation for the upcoming night Solid at Zuzu in Cambridge where the Providence based Initiales AA is a guest this week, we asked him some questions. He was kind enough to answer them and provide us with an exclusive mix for the occasion.

Q. What was the first record you ever bought as a DJing record? How old were you and where did you get it? Do you still have it?

A. As a DJ, my first two 12"s were Sieg Uber die Sonne - "I'm Not a Sound" and Star You Star Me - "Disco Dancer" from Deep Fix records in Kansas City in early Autumn 2004. I was 18. I still play them occasionally at less intense parties or openings. The Akufen remix of I'm Not a Sound will never cease to be amazing to me.

Q. Besides DJing or making music, what have you been up to lately?

A. I'm finishing up my BFA in Furniture Design at RISD this year. At the moment I'm working on a piece for the Milan Furniture Fair. I get to go over for that show in April. I'm hyped because I've never been to Italy. Otherwise, I've been updating my website: http://alvinaronson.com (a shameless plug).

Q. What album or artist is currently in your cd player/cued in your
itunes playlist and how do you feel about this artist? Do you think
they will be around in 5 years?

A. I've been listening to a mix by Dixon for the Body Language series. I like the mix because Dixon DJs with patience. None of the tracks rush in or out too quickly. Each song has breathing room and a good flow. It's the type of selection that ages well too. I think Dixon will be around in five years.

Q. Do you have a good story about the worst gig you ever had? If not,
whats the best one you've ever had?

A. There's a special venue that we Providence DJs like to play at. It's a big, dark, hot, sweaty loft with one dollar PBRs and when we party there it gets so packed that I feel a little claustrophobic. Sometimes playing there is a nightmare (cops, drunk guys trying to fight me, laptop thieves, blown speakers etc.), but most of the time it's a dream come true. We had a halloween party there in 2006. Morgan Louis, Redfoxx, and I played. It was one of the best nights of my life. I still remember the set I played that night almost track for track. I also remember these fake ficus trees that people were dancing with and Greg (Sensitive Hand) standing on top of a ladder spraying champagne on everyone.

Q. What's your favorite type of music to DJ, and why?

A. Music that facilitates various levels of engagement. I like minimal electronic dance music because a person can listen to it while they dance or socialize or work or read or eat with equal levels of success.

Here is the mix Alvin provided us. We think its great.
Initiales AA - Basstown Mix
Rufus Wainwright - Tiergarten (Supermayer Remix)
Apparat ft. Raz Ohara - Holdon (Modeslektor Remix)
Martini Bros - From Buleaux (Konrad Black Remix)
Dapayk & Padburg - Sister
Monty Luke & Tasho / Marc Houle - Paranoid / Techno Vocals (acapella)
Prztz - Nutdisco (Duckbeats So-Yo Dub)
Layo & Bushwacka - Life2Live (Jesse Rose Stripper Dub)
Tying Tiffany - You Know Me
Hidenobo Ito - Voicedelique (Krikor Remix)
Calvin Harris - Girls (Micky Slim's Bomb Squad Remix)
Deadmau5 - The Reward is Cheese
Kris Menace - Steamroller
Gregor Tresher - A Thousand Nights
Daso - Daybreak (Jona Mix)
Van Den Love - Tom Cruise (Christopher Wade's As Little As Possible Mix)

3 comments:

David Day said...

This is brilliant!!!!!!!111oneoneoneoneoneoeneo

Morgan Louis said...

KILLIN EM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

kaisalmela said...

oh the fake ficus trees. Even I had a good time that night.